Self-care is defined as what you do to protect your overall holistic wellbeing so that you can continue to meet personal and professional commitments. What an individual does for self-care is dependent on what each person finds to be a relaxing and fulfilling experience. In the busy world we live in, people frequently forget to take time to rest and recharge from the demands of life. When we don’t take time to recharge, we find ourselves depleted and unable to meet the demands expected from our jobs, friends and family. Until you find what works for you, use the internet as a resource to find out what others do to ensure healthy self-care habits.
There are different categories of self-care habits to help you stay checked in with the world around you. For the purpose of this article we will focus on self-care habits that affect the workplace, your physical health, and emotional health.
- Develop clear boundaries with clients and staff
- Attend professional development programs when available
- Read professional journals that help you develop your professional skills
- Take a walk during your lunch break to allow time to unplug and regroup
- Set up peer-support groups to prepare for challenging times in your work environment
- Develop a healthy diet to improve sleep, boost the immune system, and improve your mood on a regular basis.
- Make a habit of taking your dog for a walk when you come home from work.
- Take time to exercise on a regular basis. Make this a priority
- Create a consistent, healthy sleep routine
- Use your sick leave
- Invest in supportive friendships
- Write three good things you did each day
- Keep meeting with any social support groups you currently attend
- Go to the movies or do something you enjoy
- Pay complete attention to something you usually do on autopilot.
When we participate in self-care activities we take time out of our day to pour back into ourselves so we can continue to pour into others. We haven’t provided an extensive list of how everyone should engage in self-care. If our suggestions don’t work for you, take time to reflect and find something that makes you feel relaxed and refilled. Above all else, use your time for self-care to check in with yourself and create healthy habits that will lead to your best life yet.