I have seen numerous posts about persimmons floating around my intagram feed and have been curious about what these guys taste like. Persimmons resemble a tomato and are also a fruit like tomatoes, but have a delicate sweet honey-like taste and crisp texture.
There are many different types of persimmons, the most commonly found in conventional stores and farmers markets are the Fuyu and Hachiya. I used fuyu persimmons because they are naturally sweeter unlike the hachiya pesimmon which is always going to be bitter unless you eat them overripe. Persimmons make their debut in the fall around the same time pumpkins, squash, pomegranates, and other fall/winter fruits do.
Fuyu persimmons are not only delicious but have amazing nutritional value.
- 1/2 persimmon diced with skin
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of coconut or almond milk
- pinch of pink himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Cinnamon to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom
- 1 tbsp of Honey & stevia liquid mix
- Pecans to top
- Combine water and almond milk, bring to a low boil
- Add oats and stir when needed
- When the oats are starting to absorb most of the liquids add diced persimmons, spices, and pecan pieces
- Stir in the honey & stevia sweetener, top with more pecan pieces if desired!